Internal research has started in the SIP Forum on the future proposal for a European Soil Directive expected before the end of 2021. The GSE [European Soil Group] has initiated a consultation in various phases, the first of which was the gathering of ideas to be included in the directive. This has led to a large number of suggestions with which to carry out the initial analysis.
For now the following have emerged as essential elements of the new directive:
Democratic Control / Participation
- Act swiftly to combat illegal building and illegal soil use, based on participation and monitoring by volunteers and other interested parties.
- Encourage democratic participation in the planning process by citizens and their organizations.
- Encourage scientific understanding of the soil and ecosystems through environmental and social courses integrated into school curricula.
- With the soil, the “time” factor cannot be compressed.
- It is essential to use soils in function of their type of land capability and to avoid and prohibit any action that brings with it a change in the land capability.
- Complete halt to any further soil sealing from 2030.
- Social function of private property.
- Carry out actions to reverse over-building and soil sealing and renaturalize the soil.
- Make censuses of building and infrastructure obligatory.
We ask all our readers to take part in this drive for analysis and to send us their ideas and comments at firstname.lastname@example.org. The submissions will be analysed by the whole of the GSE.
If anyone would like to take part directly in this study/analysis process, they should let us know at email@example.com in order to be included in the study group.